Sunday, July 10, 2011

Rediscovering Kolkata (Part 2: Around Victoria and Howrah)

The journey continues from here. Most of these places are located very closely and are the popular tourist destinations in Kolkata (hence called the island of attractions). I have also added a little bit of history (read the year of construction :).

Hope you enjoy these. By the way, I have added 'travel' to my blog description, guess it was time :). 
I guess you're all enjoying the bright Sunday. I am a little sad because this is my last day of my stay at home :(. Back to the work tomorrow. Planning to go for some shopping to help me get over the sadness of my break getting over (any excuse works when it comes to shopping). I don't think I am really going to find anything interesting in the malls, but still carrying my camera around, who knows.. I don't have a DSLR yet, wondering if I should actually go for one, it won't fit in my bag :( and this one's doing a pretty good job. What do you say?


1. Horses chilling out at Maidan, This probably the largest green stretch in the city.

2. Shikanji stall outside Victoria Memorial

3. A Park with Giraffe and Elephant, right outside Victoria Memorial

4. The Giraffe and the Elephant I was talking about :)

 St. Paul's Cathedral (Built between 1839 and 1847)

 St. Paul's Cathedral and it's Reflection

Birla Planetarium, Don't miss the rainbow!

 Calcuttan Skyscrapers..
The left one is the Tata Steel building, not sure about the right one. My Kolkata blogger friends can help!

 A glimpse of the Second Hooghly Bridge (also called Vidyasagar setu)
The cable-stayed bridge was commissioned in 1992 and is one of the longest bridges in Asia spanning 823m.

 Howrah bridge/ Rabindra setu: Built between 1937 and 1943 and spans 450m

 Racing through the Howrah bridge, behind the yellow taxis..

 This is a building near the New Market..Don't know the name

 Lonely gali


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

let there be a part 3 also :)

indian beauty central said...

Lovely Pics! I've always wanted to go to Kolkotta, your pics want me to take the next flight to Cal!!

Hungover on Fashion said...

@Anonymous: you should talk to my boss to extend my leave may be :)

@indian beauty: Yes, you must visit the city atleast once! It has some wonderful places..

manas said...

khub bhalo pics :)
and this time the anonymous is not me..someone's stolen my anonymity :D

Rekha said...

nice one again :) hey whats the lens ur using? just curious :)

Hungover on Fashion said...

@manas: wow you've learnt bengali through my photos..not bad!

@rekha: don't have a dslr and hence no separate lenses..have a canon s3..

MakeupbyEesha said...

Great pics, I had been to Kol once but for a brief visit and had crispy fish fry & lot of egg rolls there :)

Ikya said...

Such great pictures!!! You are awesome!:)

Ann said...

Those photos are really stunning...

thanks for sharing them and a little travel info. Lovely place ♥

Bhushavali said...

Great to know you've been bitten by the wanderlust too!!! :)
I guess you'll be intersted in my Travelogue then... :) Do visit.. :)
LAST WEEK to participate in LACE BELT GIVEAWAY
Bird Watch-Tawny Eagle

Ankita said...

Nice clicks!! Esp the Horses at Maidan.

Praveen said...

Nice pics. Liked the victoria memorial pics too. good work with a canon.

BTW, the elephant in the 4th pic looks a bit like a short dinosaur. Or maybe that's just me watching Jurassic Park too many times :)

Hungover on Fashion said...

@Mitr: I would call it photolust rather than wanderlust :)

@Ankita: Thanks..I used the saturation effect on thee maidan pics, but it was already beautiful :)

@Praveen: Yeah, its too much of Jurassic park..They keep showing it on TV too often these days :)