Well, let me start with a disclaimer here. I am not a cocktail connoisseur, but based on whatever little my drunkard friends have made me try, here are my picks. And when I conducted a little survey in the office, they were the popular ones there too. Tell me what you think and the one that you love the most!
Long Island Iced Tea: The Potent Cocktail
I like all kinds of Iced Tea, be it Nestea or Long Island Iced Tea! This was actually the first cocktail that I ever tried and it was extremely potent :). And, it's not only me who feels that way. Even research supports that 'Long Island Iced Tea' is one of the most potent cocktails. It is a strong drink and contains almost everything - vodka, gin, tequila, and rum. If not mixed very well, can taste a little bitter, so make sure you order at a nice place!
- Most variants of LIIT do not include any tea, despite the name of the drink.
- Long Island Iced Tea, a summer drink, was first served in the mid 1970s by Robert (Rosebud) Butts, a bartender at the Oak Beach Inn, in the Town of Babylon, Long Island, New York.
Margarita: The Classy CocktailMexican cocktail consisting of tequila mixed with triple sec and lime or lemon juice, often served with salt on the glass rim. The drink is served shaken with ice, on the rocks, blended with ice (frozen margarita) or without ice (straight up).
- This cocktail has been around since 1930's and is the most common tequila-based cocktail in the United States.
- 22nd February is celebrated as the National Margarita Day in the US.
- There are many variants of Flavored Margarita and I love the Watermelon one in summers!
Mojito: The Refreshing Cocktail
Mojito is a tropical cocktail that is extremely popular at sunny resorts and exotic vacation destinations around the world. It is traditionally made of five ingredients: white rum, sugar (traditionally sugar cane juice), lime juice, sparkling water and mint. The presence of lime and mint makes it quite refreshing and I love it!
Sip it and think about an exotic beach, you'll feel as if you're almost there :)
- The mojito is one of the most famous rum-based highballs. There are several versions of the mojito.
- Cuba is the birthplace of the Mojito, although the exact origin of this classic cocktail is the subject of debate.
- The name ''Mojito" is believed to have come from a derivative of mojadito, Spanish for "a little wet", or simply the diminutive of "mojado" (wet).
Cosmopolitan: The Chic Cocktail
If there's a cocktail that I have to tag as chic, I would go for the Cosmopolitan! I find the look and the taste very stylish! The original recipe is based on vodka citron, lemon-flavored vodka. The other ingredients are cranberry juice, triple sec and lime juice!
- The cosmopolitan gained popularity in the 1990s.
- It was further popularized among young women by its frequent mention on the television program Sex and the City, where Sarah Jessica Parker's character, Carrie Bradshaw, commonly ordered the drink when out with her girlfriends.
- The influence was not only restricted to TV. Demeter Fragrance Library has created a cologne intended to smell like the cosmopolitan cocktail.
Bloody Mary: The Complex Cocktail
Bloody Mary contains vodka, tomato juice, and usually other spices or flavorings such as Tabasco sauce, olive, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, and celery salt. It has been called "the world's most complex cocktail."
- When I did a search on 'Bloody Mary', many options came up, the most popular one being the 'Legend of Bloody Mary'.
- This legend claims that the evil woman can be summoned by chanting "Bloody Mary" into a mirror anywhere from three to thirteen times in a darkened room, lit only by a candle. The bathroom is the most popular setting to test out the legend. After the given amount of chants, the spirit will then appear in a mirror to claw your eyes out. Death will follow. Other variations have her driving you insane or pulling you into the mirror, never to be seen again.
- There have been quite a few movies based on this!
So, which one is your favorite?
Pictures from Google Images